How To Rent An Apartment In West Lafayette
Preparing to rent your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been a long time since you rented one, and now you’re going through the process again. Here are some tips on how to rent an apartment in West Lafayette, from figuring out what you can afford to selecting the right apartment and submitting the application.
How Much Can You Afford?
What you need to do first is decide what you can pay. You don’t want to become enamored with an apartment only to realize it’s not possible from a financial perspective. Think about your budget before you look at that terrific two-bedroom with a nature view. Here are some suggestions to help you.
- Look at your net income - the total you have after taxes - and subtract your current bills (credit cards, car payments, etc.).
- Plan for unforeseen charges like auto repairs and urgent care appointments. In general, add 10 percent to your current bill amount.
- Approximate costs at your new place, such as utility bills and groceries. If you’re not sure where to start, go with $250 a month for each one.
- How often do you go out? Project your dining and entertainment expenses per month.
- What is left? This amount is what you may put toward rent. Now is the time to determine if you’ll need a roommate.
Selecting The Right Apartment In West Lafayette
Checking out different communities and floor plans can be fun but also demanding of your time. Make certain you give yourself plenty of time to explore - at least a couple months. Your initial step is to figure out the general area. Do you wish to be close to work or school? Are you searching in the city or in outlying areas? Is there shopping and nightlife close by? Determining an exact location will be greatly beneficial.
You probably have a good idea of the number of bedrooms you’ll need, so you may focus on selecting your preferred floor plan. Next, you need to think about what amenities are must-haves. Is a fitness center or pool essential? Do you have to have a pet-friendly community with a dog park? Answering these sorts of questions will simplify your search.
Completing The Application Process
Once you’ve picked out an apartment, you need to complete the application process. You’ll want to be prepared with photo identification, documentation of income, and some references. You’ll usually be charged an application fee to cover credit and background checks. If you plan on using a co-signer, ask about them at the beginning, as they may not be permitted.
Your application process will generally include the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Submit an application form
- Prepare for background and credit checks
- Sign the contract
When filling out the application, you should expect to provide the information below:
- Name, email, phone number, and present address
- Employment and income
- Past address(es)
- Dogs or other pets (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you may be asked to supply past landlords or professional and personal references
Locate The Perfect Apartment At Continuum Apartments
Finding an apartment in West Lafayette isn’t hard to do at Continuum Apartments. We boast a wide choice of floor plans and amenities to accommodate your lifestyle. Arrange a tour to discover our community or reach out to (765) 476-0886 to talk with one of our friendly leasing representatives about how to rent one of our apartments in West Lafayette.